Monday, March 19, 2007

Meet the "Appy" & the "Quarter"

The other two horses are "Camelot" (appalosa) and "Vino" (Quarter Horse). Wendy really has her hands full with work, school & her daily chores. Camelot has been with us since birth and Vino was actually given to her. I personally prefer Four Wheeler Bikes as I have found them to be more responsive when I need to turn and more importantly brake. I can't remember the last time I rode a horse! Over the years I would ride once a year and it was usually an "over-nighter" with the riding club she belongs to. These rides were usually 15 to 20 milers and I would be sore for a week. I found it easier to run the Portland Marathon than to ride the long trail. To be honest, the trail rides were spectacular, the scenery of the Oregon mountains was incredible and yes a motorized vehicle could not go where we took the horses. Imagine climbing up to the 7000 foot summit of "Three Finger Jack" or the "Three Sisters" wilderness where the "switch-backs" are often 4 feet wide. Truly a great riding experience! I remember one year when Lucas was around 6 and he decided to take a break & get off his horse on one of these "switch-backs". To this date I don't know how Wendy managed to control the situation, I was too scared to look....

3 comments:

Luis said...

Beautiful horses! I would like someday to learn how to ride... so I can ride off into the sunset playing my guitar..wearing a big Mexican mariachi hat!

Luis said...

Re. Luca's experience: I remember a similar experience horseback riding with you guys: my horse started sliding off the trail and Wendy was yelling at me to jump off... I was just sitting there on the poor horse, and I could actually touch the ground with my feet... eventually I just stepped off the poor horse and he recovered! Maybe he was trying to tell me something?!

Jerry said...

You are an awesome dude already, you need to come over and ride my 4-wheeler!